Current content of the graduate theory placement exam, and suggested reading:
1. Harmonic analysis, including tonicization, modulation,
and non-harmonic tones: four-part chorale
2. Figured-bass realization, including chromatic harmony
3. Form analysis: a work from the Romantic period
4. Fugue: knowledge of procedures and structure
Harmonic analysis, figured bass realization, and non-harmonic tone analysis: either
(1) Gauldin, Robert, Harmonic Practice in Tonal Music. W. W. Norton & Co., Inc., 1997, or
(2) Aldwell and Schachter, Harmony and Voice Leading, 2nd ed. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1989, or
(3) Kostka and Payne, Tonal Harmony, 3rd edition. McGraw-Hill, 1995.
Fugue: Owen, Harold, Modal and Tonal Counterpoint: From Josquin to Stravinsky. Schirmer, 1992.
Form analysis: Spring and Hutcheson, Musical Form and Analysis. Brown and Benchmark, 1995.
Copyright © 2001 Irene Girton